The Code of the West
1. Never pass anyone on the trail without
2. Don't wave at a man on a horse. It might
spook the horse and the man will think you're an idiot. (The proper greeting is
3. After you pass someone on the trail,
don't look back at him. It implies you don't trust him.
4. Riding another man's horse without his
permission is nearly as bad as making love to his wife. Never even bother
another man's horse.
5. Never shoot an unarmed man. Never shoot a
woman at all.
6. A cowboy is pleasant even when out of
sorts. Complaining is what quitters do, and cowboys hate quitters.
7. Always be courageous. Cowards aren't
tolerated in any outfit worth its salt.
8. A cowboy always helps someone in need,
even a stranger or an enemy.
9. When you leave town after a weekend of
carousing, it's perfectly all right to shoot your six-guns into the air.
10. A horse thief may be hung summarily.
11. Never try on another man's cowboy hat.
12. Never wake another man by shaking or
touching him; he might wake up suddenly and shoot you.
13. Real cowboys are modest. A braggart who
is "all gurgle and no guts" is not tolerated. A cowboy doesn't talk
much ...he saves his breath for breathing.
14. No matter how weary and hungry you are
after a long day in the saddle, always tend to your horse's needs before you